Lysa Roma1

Bullseyed windscreen – Car vs pedestrian RTC

Smashed windscreen, by wheany, on flickr

Smashed windscreen, by wheany, on flickr

I was working on a car with my colleague Richard when we were called to a RTC (Road Traffic Collision). It was the rush hour, already dark and it had just started to rain. The traffic was dreadful as we neared the scene and even though the drivers were trying their best to move their cars out of the way for us, it was gridlock and we were struggling to pass through them. Eventually, after realising we were going nowhere fast, I decided to get out, grab as much kit as I could carry and run the last part of the journey.

The police and fire brigade were already on scene and I found our patient, an elderly man, being tended to by one of our first responders. At this time the responder was only able to hold on to the man’s head and neck to stop him moving, and potentially risking further damage, until further help arrived to assist him.

Our patient had been walking along when a car mounted the pavement and he was thrown in to the air. His face struck the windscreen (bulls-eyed) and he was flipped over, coming to land flat on his back on a raised wall area of ground that was part of the garden of a public building. He was in a very awkward place and the car was jammed up tightly against the wall.

Incredibly he was still conscious and able to talk to us. Although he was bleeding heavily from a nose bleed and a head wound, he appeared to have no obvious serious injuries elsewhere. His breathing was fine and all his physical observations were stable. We gave him oxygen and began to cut off his clothes to enable us to assess him further for any possible injuries. We placed a cannula in his arm in case he should need any medicines from us, and of course we covered him with a blanket to protect his modesty and keep him warm.

The HEMS team had been activated and they arrived by car a few minutes after us along with an ambulance. We put a stiff neck collar on him and lifted him on to a spinal board before moving him in to the ambulance.

Thankfully his condition remained stable, but because of the significant mechanism of injury we blue’d him in to hospital to give the hospital time to prepare the trauma team and make some space in the resuscitation room to receive him.

I popped back to see him a little later and he was waiting for a head scan, and thankfully I have since heard that he is still doing OK.


Leave a reply


Want to read more?

Read more of my posts in The Archives.